Friday, January 4, 2008

I am part of the problem

It seems that there is little escape. So many think the end is near. So many others think the nearing end is an illusion. Even others suspect government involvement in every sense, duping its people into models of perceived limited choice, bordering on fascism, though unseen, under the guise of Democracy - though we are a Republic at best (and best learn the distinctions). Others never grow suspicious, tossing the kooks into a categorical asylum that they somehow exclude themselves from. There are those that believe that government is actually fear mongering. And others that think too many are paranoid.

It’s a this and them kind of world and I am most definitely part of the problem.

I help the process through my illustrations. I aid to spread fear and panic and distortion and revulsion. (Even though I’ve only made seven prior posts to ring in the New Year.)

Below are my top-five selections from the full article: 23 Tools To Brainwash and Influence People Through Media

5. Framing is everything. Decide what you want people to believe and make sure that any choices you give them are within a framework which assures you of your result. This is called the Illusion of Choice. “Do you want to sweep the floor before or after dinner?” Repeat this formula for economic systems, politicians, news stories, competing product brands and entertainment.

10. Never encourage responsibility, or so much as suggest that humans could be involved in co-creating their future and the realities in which they reside.

11. Encourage group-sanctioned individuality only. By making ‘individuality” the new conformity you are generating a powerful illusion of free choice.

13. Keep information bytes infinitesimally small. Promote Attention Deficit Disorder. Several decades of television have already set this in motion.

19. Demonize self-knowledge technology of all kinds. Throw around words like “cult” and “brainwashing.” Marginalize anyone involved in such pursuits.


Each of the twenty-three items help perpetuate the problem even though it alleges to merely point at it in order to educate.

NOW! My paranoia goes unfortunately further, full circle, all the way around, never allowing validity to settle too long before I grow suspicious and think that validity itself is part of the manipulation (or illusion or feeding or swaying or convincing or...) and I reject even the initial freedom that I felt. Primarily because I cannot account for how I could discern between the manipulation that the evil powers that be perform and those that keep pointing their fingers at the evil powers that be.

I am not saying that evil does not exist. (I am not about to open that can of worms.) But I do not know how the finger-pointers think that they themselves are not evil. Isn’t there an equal possibility? Isn’t the whole thing a toss-up? Isn’t the system up for grabs at every point, at every angle, at every interpretation, and reality is then rooted in the fan base that an interpretation has. I’m not preaching mass-subjectivity. I’m not ignoring the facts. I just don’t understand how so many don’t think that their own “conversion” to a particular ideology might have been solely the result of retaliating against a previous ideology that, with age, became disappointing.

Because a pathless path is still a path. And that idea got me to sit by the roadside for many years, watching people pass me by, holding up signs of freedom, goals, aspirations, et cetera, while I could not comprehend how they did not see the whole arbitrariness of picking one path over another. They swarm to it with confidence (and possible unaware blindness). I could not resolve how anyone can pick anything with such self-assurance until converted to another reassuring set of principles or guidelines. I do not know that hat-trick.

With that in mind, I am now choosing to become part of the problem and with that realization, part of the solution. I got up from the roadside and am sticking out my big-ass thumb waiting for a group of deluded idealists to pull-on-over asking me “Where you headed?” and I’ll just shrug and tell them “Where ever you are heading.” And then talk them out of that direction as soon as I get seated and comfortable and buying the first tank of gas as payment.

So, as part of my goal, perpetuating the madness, reassuring the deluded, and running the gauntlet with the rest, working the solution not the problem - or so I hope and pray and continue to have faith until disillusioned by a will greater than my own.


No comments: