Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Zeitgeist Movie

Happy New Year.

Went to yoga this morning. At least a start is beginning.

I helped a friend move yesterday. Lifting boxes gets me out of my head. I’m trying to do the whole breathing thing these days. But heavy activity gets me more in the moment than I usually am. (Maybe mother was right.)

During one of my breaks: the time my friend would need to pack additional boxes to take down to the car; it was an off-the-cuff haphazard kinda move. I was thanking the decent medical insurance I had many years ago during the dot-com
deillusion that afforded me the double-hernia operation. Allegedly it’s a 99% fix with only 1% of patients needing the same surgery again later in life. At least that’s how I remember being reassured.

But what really worried me was my shoulder. Nearly nine months ago, during a Jiu-Jitsu class, without being adequately warmed up - my fault, I know - I ‘rolled’ on the mat with a classmate nevertheless. (How much damage could happen sparring while already on the ground?) We clenched. I tensed up. Got flipped. And I heard a ‘pop’.

I got religious for that moment. But it was too little too late. With the damage done, I called it a day. Painfully got dressed and did my best driving to a friend’s house. (She had the ice-pack.) I kept rehearsing in my head, over and over again, what I could’ve done differently.

And therein lies my problem. Which is why I prefer to endanger my right shoulder further just to get out of my head for any fleeting amount of time. It makes the day go by faster.

But I was on break.

“Check dis out,” my friend, during his many distracted and distracting moments, flopped on his bed, opened his laptop, and after a few keystrokes, excitedly flipped the laptop around showing me the screen.

The url address in the top bar read:
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

“What is it?” I asked. I was feeling resistant. I tend to do that if I’m taken off guard.

“Nevah you mind what it is! Juz watch.” He had a way with words. His phone just then vibrated and he took the call. He was often saved by bells of all kind.

So I hit play.



And the movie starts.

I must say: It’s interesting. I’m watching the movie. But because I am still, not lifting heavy boxes to my car, my mind wanders. I tried to refrain and give the whole movie a shot: two hours later. And here’s my ‘But’...

And there can always be a ‘but’:

Any conspiracy movie presents the conspiracy as an argument. Fine. But I never can understand why no one thinks the movie itself is part of the conspiracy, used as a marketing research tool to see how different types of people respond to different types of packaging of similar information - because there is a website that asks for an email address and first name:
http://www.zeitgeistsociety.org/ The problem is that all the links for that site keep presenting the same exact page with the same email address and first name request. (For example: clicking on Privacy Policy will bring you to: http://www.zeitgeistsociety.org/privacy.html ) So that’s a little freaky. But the site doesn’t claim any type of association with the movie. But the only place to find that declaration of disassociation is http://www.zeitgeistsociety.org/movie/. It reads “(No affiliation with the Zeitgeist Movie makers.)”

The problem here is that this is not the complete movie - it’s an hour-and-a-half out of a two-hour experience. So that’s interesting, especially if we’re talking conspiracies.

Maybe the movie is legit but an agency that is looking to compile the email address and first names of those who have just watched the movie and want to find out what to do. This is what it reads.

Here’s what you can do right now:
Sign-up to receive instructions and be part of a sweeping rebel alliance forming to take on the world banks and end this conspiracy of global oppression.
When you sign up, you’ll get a list of critical steps you can take to help you stop feeding this potential global Empire and start reclaiming democracy.

The main movie site asks for personal information only if the movie is to be screened in an area.

Submit your interest and proposed location to us for review in the form below. The goal at this point is to match up your event with other's submissions from your City/Town in order to try and have one central venue, rather than many, in order to obtain the largest size audience in each event.

But I’m a bit skeptical about the other website. How very confusing. Maybe no one else noticed.

This is the sun. As far back as 10 thousand B.C.E., history is abundant with carvings [M] and writings reflecting people's respect and adoration for this object [S1]. And it is simple to understand why as every morning the sun would rise, bringing vision, warmth, and security, saving man from the cold, blind, predator-filled darkness of night. Without it, the cultures understood, the crops would not grow, and life on the planet would not survive. These realities made the sun the most adored object of all time.[M] Likewise, they were also very aware of the stars.[M] The tracking of the stars allowed them to recognize and anticipate events which occurred over long periods of time, such as eclipses and full moons.[M] They in turn catalogued celestial groups into what we know today as constellations.

That’s the way the official movie starts. Thought it was pretty good. But once again. Why isn’t everything just part of a great conspiracy? There was a John Carpenter movie called ‘They Live’. This is one synopsis:

Nada, a down-on-his-luck construction worker, discovers a pair of special sunglasses. Wearing them, he is able to see the world as it really is: people being bombarded by media and government with messages like "Stay Asleep", "No Imagination", "Submit to Authority". Even scarier is that he is able to see that some usually normal-looking people are in fact ugly aliens in charge of the massive campaign to keep humans subdued. Written by Melissa Portell.

This is another:

John Carpenter's slow and deliberate immersion of the daunting and worrying fable of the corrupt, deceiving and indifferent economic, social and political society, that has wrapped itself around its people and who in turn have blindly accepted their fate. Multicultural in more forms than anticipated, are the leading and upwardly mobile alien race who have gelled themselves into the Human psyche and exploited it to its full potential. This is the story of an everyman, a no one, a Nada [Roddy Piper] who stumbles upon their secret, via an underground movement, whose mission is to sabotage their plans and awaken the world to its sinister plans. With the help of a pair of sunglasses, that shows the world as it really is, not in colour, but a black and white parallel world that the sub-conscious has chosen to ignore. With subliminal messages as "OBEY", "CONFORM", "MARRY AND REPRODUCE", "CONSUME", "WATCH TELEVISION" and "SLEEP". It is through this thought control that the aliens have this world tied up and neatly packaged for its own manipulative uses, to further themselves at the expense of the meek, mild and the lowly sufferers of a job less and hungry world. This is the battle of self-awareness and one mans struggle with a reality check that has these alien beings staging war against the up-rising and rebellious armies from the gutters and streets. They Live You Sleep; where will your consciousness take you when the sleep is washed from your eyes. Welcome to the real world. Written by Cinema_Fan.

Two different packaging of similar information. Maybe everything is marketing strategy. “Put it out there like this and see what happens” someone says. Another says, “put it out there like this two”. Who’s into the aliens? Who’s into the government conspiracies? Who doesn’t care? Who cares too much? Why don’t conspiracy theorists think that the Fascist state is already here, subdued controlled, leaking out just enough information to continue to keep us ‘entertained’.

I believe it’s far subtler, flying low under the radar. Who’s radar? Anyone’s radar. And claims of detection are dismissed as ludicrous mostly because the rest of us have their radar set at a particular homogenized setting. Or at least that’s the claim. Or can be the claim. Or the justification. Or the reasons. The whole thing goes in a loop and this is when some say to me “get me off this merry-go-round” but most say, “what’r’ya craazy?”

I think. Am I? Or am being fed, like everyone else, subtly? And I’m trying to open my eyes, but I keep thinking that there can always be more layers that need unwinding from around my head, uncovering my eyes, and even though I can see better, in a sense - more light is coming in - but my vision is still obstructed, with each and every spin and turn, more light comes, and I short after get used to it. But another spin around my head brings me more light. But the blindfold is still on me. And it feels like true vision gained through unobscured wide open eyes is so close, yet so far, that even if it ever became. If that last layer was removed and I was told “ta-da!” I’d still be suspicious. Still unresolved. Still wondering where have all the people gone. I wonder if I’d scream to be let back. “Cover me back up. Cover me back up.”

I joke. But who can tell the difference? Maybe the difference lies in the choice. Do I watch this movie or not? (Zeitgeist, not They Live.)

No comments: